Taking the Bar

Bar Method, not Exam. Ha! That'd be a surprise. No, we're talking exercise here. This week my friend Ashleigh and I (and Jackie up in San Fran) started the Bar Method. It's only offered in 12 cities and of course, fitness frenzied LA is on the list. It's been kind of hard for me to describe, so here is the explanation from their website.

The Bar Method™ exercise system creates a uniquely lean, firm, sculpted body by reshaping and elongating muscles while maintaining an intense pace that burns fat and increases stamina. The hour-long class is composed of eight or nine strengthening exercises followed by stretches. The strength work combines holding positions that use the body’s own weight with small, controlled moves that increase range of motion and stamina. Stretching is focused on the hips, chest and lower back to improve posture and body alignment. Students begin the class with free weights and push-ups, move to the bar to work their legs and abdominals, and finish on mats for more core work and stretching.

And here are some examples of exercises.

So far I am really liking it. It's not particularly hard, but it's challenging. It's not the kind of workout where you're out of breath, tired and sweaty, but I can definitely tell it's working. After two classes I can totally feel it in the back of my legs, side of my butt, calves and in my triceps. I am sore, but not the kind of sore you get after lifiting weights at the gym. You know, the kind where you can't move or workout the following day? The only downfall I must admit however, is that I feel a little awkward doing long, lean ballet-like moves with my pitifully short legs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you Linds! If only Spokane had something like that...hmmm, maybe in 20 years we will catch up on the latest workout fad.